Ph. D. (Pursuing)
M.S. Agricultural and Rural System Engineering
B.S. Agricultural and Rural System Engineering
Surface-subsurface hydrology, Numerical model development, Land surface hydro-meteorological modeling, Data assimilation
Surface water-groundwater interaction in Rio Grande river basin (USDA-CAP), The impact of subsurface hydrology on land surface energy/water balance considering the simultaneous interaction between vadose zone-phreatic aquifer-stream (Texas Water Observatory).
Awards, scholarships, & fellowships
- (2020) Bill and Rita Stout International Graduate Student Achievement Award, BAEN, TAMU
- (2020–21) USGS TWRI Grad Student Scholarship, United States Geological Survey (USGS) & Texas Water Resources Institute (TWRI)
- (2019) Soil Science Society of America Oral Presentation Award, Soil Science Society of America (SSSA)
- (2019) BAEN Graduate Student Competitive Scholarship, TAMU
- (2019) Aggies Commit Fellowship, Texas A&M University
- (2018) National Water Center Summer Institute Program, CUAHSI.
- (2017) BAEN Graduate Student Competitive Scholarship, BAEN, TAMU
- (2015) Outstanding Paper Presentation Award, The Korean Society of Agricultural Engineers.
- (2014) Best Oral Presentation Award, International Society of Paddy and Water Environment Engineering.
List of select publications:
- Hong, M., B. Mohanty, Z. Sheng, 2020. An explicit scheme to represent the bidirectional exchanges among vadose zone, phreatic aquifer, and river, Water Resources Research, [In preparation].
- Hong, M., S. H. Lee, S. J. Lee, J. Y. Choi, 2019. Application of high-resolution meteorological data from NCAM-WRF to analyze soil moisture deficit and drought severity in small-scale farmlands, Agricultural Water Management, [Under review].
- Hong, M., R, Karki, J. M. Krienert, S. S. Memari, 2018. Evaluating Alternative Groundwater Discharge Estimations for Improved National Water Model Forecasting, National Water Center Innovators Program Summer Institute Report 2018 (CUAHSI & NOAA), Published
- Hong, M., S. H. Lee, S. J. Lee, J. Y. Choi, 2018. Farmland scale spatial analysis of soil moisture deficit and its application for determining drought severity using NCAM-WRF simulation data, International Journal of Climatology, In review
- Hong, M., S. H. Lee, J. Y. Choi, S. H. Lee, S. J. Lee, 2015. Estimation of Soil Moisture and Irrigation Requirement of Upland using Soil Moisture Model applied WRF meteorological data, The Korean Society of Agricultural Engineering, Published